Friday, April 15, 2011

Micah @ 5 Months Old



Micah is five months old today!  And growing like a weed.  It absolutely amazes me everyday to witness the miracle that is him.  In my career I have to have an understanding of child development, but it still is amazing to see him grow and develop.  He has such a personality.  It is a mixture of Mikey, my sister, and myself.  I am beginning to fear the things I am sure I am going to go through with him.  Hopefully he won't decide he's Superman (like his father did as a little boy).

At five months old, Micah...

... wears size 6-9 months clothes, and size 3 diapers.

... is able to roll from his back to his tummy.  No tummy to back yet.

...  hustles when he's on his belly.  I have found him at the foot of his crib in the morning.

... still wants to sit up, and is better at controlling his body.  He hates being held like a baby unless he is falling asleep.

... has much better control of his arms and hands.  He is able to reach for objects that he wants, and grasp things in his hand without dropping them immediately.  He's still figuring out how to get his mimi's glasses off her face, but it won't be long now before he figures it out.

...  is almost certainly left-handed.  In my family, certain physical traits are grouped together with left-handedness.  Micah has the physical traits, and he uses his left hand more often and more easily than he uses his right.  I think I have a lefty on my hands.  He would be in the company of his mimi and auntie if this is true.

... stands on his legs, and is able to pull up to standing from sitting when holding your fingers.  He thinks this is so funny.

... sleeps through the night, though he has had a few nights where he decided that he needed a middle of the night feeding.  Those times lasted about a week, and I'm almost certain he was growing.

... has got to be getting teeth soon.  He chews on his bottle, pacifier, fingers, and bibs all the time. He's drooling and blowing bubbles.  I need to find him a teether that he can hold.

...  is now eating jar foods.  At his four month appointment his doctor told me (before I could ask) to that I could start him on jar food.  At first he wasn't too sure about it, but he has decided since then that he loves his food.  Now he knows how to open his mouth for the spoon, and fusses if you don't feed him fast enough.  He also enjoys airplane sounds when eating.  He has tried peaches, peas, carrots, sweet potatoes, green beans, bananas, pears, and squash. (In that order.)  He enjoys all of them with the exception of peas and bananas.  I have to try him with them again.

... hums.  I first realized during a road trip that Micah was humming.  At first I thought it was a new sound that he was testing out.  Then my mom pointed out that he was humming.  I usually have the radio playing, but on this trip I was talking with my mom, and the radio was off.  I guess Micah wanted some music so he decided to create his own.

...  has had his first bout of illness.  Just this week Micah had a stomach virus.  It ran it's course within 24 hours, but I was one miserable mommy.  It is absolutely NO fun to watch your baby be sick, and not be able to do anything about it.

... goes by the nicknames Toot, Gus-Gus, Chubba-Chub, and MicahMaine.

No comments: