Monday, April 16, 2012

Boy or Girl? Who Cares?

Photobucket

Before I even got pregnant this go around, I thought about the gender of my next child.  Honestly, I would be happy either way.  When Micah turned about a year old, I started imagining having two boys and a girl. Would I be disappointed to have only boys? NO.  Would I be disappointed to have Micah be the only boy? NO.  Honestly, I would love either gender.  Before Mikey and I even married, I said I wanted only boys.  After getting married, but before having a boy, I realized that having a girl wouldn’t be so bad. (Hopefully she wouldn’t be all wrapped up into pink and girly stuff.  I really wouldn't know what to do with that.)  A part of me wants Micah to have a brother to have a brotherly relationship with.  Mostly, that want is due to my brother.  He was the only boy for many years, and would often say that he had to wait until he went to college to find brothers.  That stuck with me.  I guess what I’m trying to say is boy or girl, when I go in for my anatomy scan on the 26th (or when this stinker is born, if he/she is stubborn) I will be ecstatic whether baby #2 is a boy or a girl.   

*****

That being said, let’s talk about old wive’s tales.  

Heart Rate
If the baby’s heart rate is above 140 bpm, it is said that the baby will be a girl.  If it is under 140 bpm, then it will be a boy.  Baby Giles #2's heart rate has fluctuated.   At some appointments it was in the 160's and at others it was in the 140's.  I guess that means that #2 is a girl.

Belly
If you are carrying high with a big, round belly, you are having a girl.  If you are carrying low with a smaller belly that sticks straight out, it’s a boy.   According to this old wive's tale, #2 is a boy.

Ring Test
Using a string, hang your wedding ring over your pregnant belly.  You are having a girl if the ring swings back and forth  and it’s a boy if it swings in a circle.  

Shape of Mom's Face
When your face gets fuller and rounder when pregnant, it means you’re going to have a girl.  If your face is long and narrow, it’s a boy.   This one says #2 is a girl.

 Acne
If you have acne while pregnant, it’s a girl. I won't show you the picture, but I had one huge bump that looked like it was made up of three or four smaller bumps all clumped together.  It was horrible.  Needless to say, I'm thinking girl for this old wive's tale.

Cravings
People believe that if you are craving salty foods while pregnant, you can count on having a boy.  If you crave sweets, fruit, and orange juice, you are having a little girl.  I haven't really had cravings this pregnancy, but if I had to choose, I would say that salty foods sound more appetizing to me.  I guess that means boy.
 
Chinese Gender Chart
The Chinese Gender Chart claims to have an accuracy rate of over 90%.  It is based on how old the mother is at conception and the month that she conceived.  The Chinese Gender Chart says #2 is a boy.

Mom's Beauty
Basically you are having a girl if your beauty disappears during pregnancy.  It is said that the girl “steals” the mother’s beauty.  If you think that pregnancy has never made you look more beautiful, you might just be having a little boy.  My mom, Mikey, and I agree, that I look much the same. I guess that means #2 is a boy.

Dreams of the Baby
If you have dreams that you are having a boy, you will have a girl.  If you dream about having a girl, it will be a boy.  Dreams show the opposite of what you are having.  I haven't had any dreams about this baby.  With Micah, I always dreamed that he was a girl.  My dreams aren't telling me anything for #2.

Morning Sickness
If you had a smooth pregnancy with no morning sickness, it’s a boy.  If you were sick or felt really nauseous during your pregnancy, count on a girl. This pregnancy has been smooth sailing, so I'm guessing boy.

Headaches
If you are having headaches, you might be carrying a boy.  Lately, I've been having headaches nearly everyday.  I guess that means boy.

That's 6 for boy, and 3 for girls.

*****

So what do you think?  Leave a comment telling whether you think boy or girl and why.  Mikey is definitely in the little girl camp.  I am thinking little boy.  I must admit, though, that Mikey was right about Micah, and I was wrong, but I based my guess on my dreams. 

No comments: