Monday, December 20, 2010

What A Day/Five Weeks Old

You know how sometimes you just know that the world (and your child) is conspiring against you?  Yeah, that was my morning.  I couldn't sleep last night.  It was ridiculous.  I lay in bed, in the dark, as comfortable as could be, and couldn't fall asleep.  My mind was clear of any worries (which is what usually keeps me up).  I just couldn't sleep.  And when I finally fall asleep, Micah decides to wake up at 6:00 am.  I fed him, and lay him down, hoping in my heart that he would go back to sleep.  Did he go back to sleep?  Of course not, because the world (and my child) is conspiring against me.  Not only did he not go back to sleep, but he decided at around 6:30 am that he needed to "talk" to his hands.  He laid there and cooed to his hands until about 7:00 am, when he became upset and started fussing.  I guess he and his hands decided they weren't friends anymore.  And the icing on the cake is that as soon as I got up and turned on the light to start getting ready for my day, he quieted down.  He was laying there looking around, kicking and smiling, like all is well in the world.  I suppose that could be because all is well in his world.  But darn it, I really needed that sleep.  Oh the joys of motherhood.

Since my sleep was a no go, I started preparing for my day.  I got Micah and myself dressed, and we headed out.  Micah was dropped off at my grandparent's house for safe keeping, and I headed to my doctor's appointment.  According to the doctor my incision is healing well.  I have also lost all of the weight I gained with pregnancy, except for about 6 pounds.  I found (later in the day) that I actually like the little extra weight.  It is just enough to push me into the next size in clothing (size 4), which is easier to find when I'm out shopping.  I only wish I could have kept the boobs.  Those were nice, but they have deflated now, and that makes me sad.  Oh well.  Now I just need to tone up my body.

After the doctor's appointment, I headed over to the mall for Christmas shopping.  I had been sadly lacking in my Christmas spirit this year.  There's nothing like a little retail therapy, 5 days before Christmas, to get a body into the spirit.  I can't wait for my family and friends to open their gifts.  I love to see the look on a person's face when they open gifts.  I also shopped for myself.  Of course.  That was how I figured out that I liked my new body weight.  I am done with my shopping, with the exception of purchasing Mikey's gift.  I am still debating between two choices.

I eventually made it home, where I tried on my gifts to myself, and wrapped the gifts for everyone else. Here's Micah and I modeling one of our gifts to self (a baby carrier).
Pardon the blur.
And my baby is five weeks old today.  He snores.  Not often, but every once in a while he lets out a little snore.  It is adorable.  He also stays awake a little longer each day.  I know soon I'll be wishing he would take a nap, but right now, I love seeing him more alert and interacting with his environment.  Now I'm just waiting on a social smile.  All I get currently is involuntary ones, mostly likely caused by gas.  Here he is in all his cuteness.

No comments: