Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Micah's Birth Story

We showed up at the doctor's office at the appointed time to have the amnio done and the lung maturity test.  The amnio was an interesting experience.  First of all the ultrasound technician couldn't find a spot, because everywhere that she looked either did not have enough fluid, there was umbilical cord in the way, or both.  But finally the procedure was completed.  Then I was placed on the monitors to be sure that the amnio did not cause me to go into labor.  After about an hour of that, my doctor told me I could go.  However, as I was leaving, the nurse stopped me, and told me to wait because the results should be coming at any moment.  I waited in the lobby area, and was called back in short order.  The results indicated that Micah's lungs were mature.

We headed down to the maternity center.  I got checked in, and waited.  The nurse attempted to place my IV, but could not.  So they called in the anesthesiologist assistant to do it.  He finally found the one spot that he felt comfortable, and numbed it.  I didn't even know he was done until he told me.  He left, promising to return to place the catheter for my epidural.

After I had a short nap, mostly from complete and utter boredom, he returned and placed the catheter.  That is some amazing stuff.  Shortly thereafter, the doctor informed the staff that she was ready to deliver my baby, and we were off to the operating room.

Once we were there, things moved quickly.  I was wheeled in, the nurses set up the canopy around me, Mikey was called in, and the doctor came in.  Mikey and I held a conversation, mostly about how awesome it was that we would be parents in mere minutes.  Then, the nurse was telling Mikey to stand up and take pictures.  A minute or two later, and the doctor came around the curtain with Micah in her hands.  He was handed off to the nurses to clean him up and check him out.  Then Mikey brought him to me for me to see him up close.  After that Mikey and Micah went off to the nursery, and the doctor closed me up.  I headed to recovery.

An hour and a half after I had left to begin the procedure, I was back in my room.  Shortly after that, my baby boy was in my arms.

No comments: