Monday, October 25, 2010

34 Weeks

34 weeks
  • How far along?: thirty-four weeks; Reaching the 34-week mark is a big milestone for anyone concerned about pre-term labor (that would be me), as babies born at this stage usually do just fine (provided they’re otherwise healthy). Other than a slightly longer stay at the hospital, they generally don’t experience any of the long-term health problems that prematurity can cause. 
  • What's baby up to?: Baby’s senses are continuing to improve -- when light peeks in through your (extremely) stretched belly, those tiny eyelids and irises blink and dilate. And, baby can now recognize and react to simple songs… time to start practicing your lullabies! Growth (at least inside your womb) is starting to slow, and you may notice baby descend into your pelvis at the end of this month.  
  • Weight Gain: I have gained 16 pounds total, as of my last appointment; I gained a pound back
  • Symptoms: baby bump; serious back pain; insomnia; nerve pain; indigestion and heartburn; ribcage hurts; exhaustion 
  • How big is baby?: about the size of a honeydew melon (about 17.2 to 18.7 inches; 4.2 to 5.8 pounds) 
  • Sex: boy!?! 
  • Maternity clothes?: yes 
  • Stretch marks?: nope, and I’m working to avoid them, even though I know there is no way to avoid them if I am meant to have them 
  • Sleep?: not good; I can't get comfortable, and gotta go potty several times during the night and it takes a while for me to get comfortable enough to sleep 
  • Best moment this week?: wishing my brother a happy birthday
  • Movement?: yes, and lots of it 
  • Food cravings?: chocolate
  • Labor signs?: contractions; dilating; belly "dropped" 
  • Belly button in or out?: out; it pokes out enough that you can see it through my shirt 
  • What I miss: sleeping comfortably and through the night, walking without pain 
  • What I'm looking forward to: holding Micah in my arms


No comments: