Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Mama Said There'd Be Days Like This

And now for the not so wordless Wednesday post.  Yesterday was a rough day for Micah and I.  He was over-tired.  He woke up the night before at around 3:00 am and stayed up until about 5:00 am.  When he finally went to sleep, he slept until 11:30 am, but we were both tired.  Our day followed it's regular schedule for the most part after he woke up.  He ate and had a bath.  We played, and sing songs.  Then the doorbell rang and we talked to the Jehovah's Witnesses at the door.  They promised to visit again. I'm SO looking forward to that.  {That last sentence is pure sarcasm.}  Soon after they left, Micah went down for a nap.  But this mama made the mistake of going back into his room before he had actually fallen asleep. Big mistake. Big. Huge.  {Any guesses what movie that line came from?}  

Micah decided then that he was not ready for a nap, and must get out of his crib immediately.  Understanding that I had messed up, and that he wouldn't go to sleep, I took him out of his crib.  Thus started the trying portion of our day.  After the aborted nap, Micah fussed and cried about any- and everything.  His toys wouldn't do what he wanted them to do.  I wouldn't hold him.  He couldn't climb the stairs.  He couldn't get his walker to go the direction he wanted.  Finally I was beginning to feel frustrated, so I took him to his room, and put him in his crib, and walked away.  He cried.  The most heartbreaking cries that I've heard in a long time.  And I felt like the world's worst mother.  I know I was being irrational, but I hate for him to be upset, even when I know that it's in his best interest.  A few minutes later, I went back to get him.  We snuggled on the couch for a while, and then my brain cells started firing again, and I decided to take him outside.  Micah loves the outdoors, and if nothing else calms him, going outside does.  After checking to make sure it wasn't too cool, we both put on our jackets and shoes, and headed outside.  And Micah was content.


Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Refusing to come inside already.
After our visit outside, we both felt better.  Micah went down for a nap shortly thereafter, and this mama relaxed {after I cooked dinner}.  He took his nap absolutely too late in the day, but it was well worth it for my sanity.  He woke up in a much better mood.  He played with his daddy, and went to bed a little before midnight.  Too late, I know, but after such a late nap, I'm happy he went to sleep then.  Of course he woke up absolutely too early in the morning (around 5:00 am) and wanted to play.  After about a half an hour, I was not feeling it, so he and Mikey cuddle on their side of the bed while I continued to try to get more sleep.  That didn't work.  Micah finally went back to sleep more than an hour later, just as Mikey got up to get ready for his day.  He was awake for the day at 9:45 this morning, and we've been going strong since then.  I love my boy, even on days like this.
Photobucket
And guess what I got up to while my two boys were entertaining one another?  Invites!

P.S.  Micah stood up from kneeling unsupported in the middle of the floor this morning.  He'll be walking soon!
Photobucket
Please excuse the mess.  Hurricane Micah struck again.

No comments: