Friday, January 7, 2011

The Business of Sleep


Big things are happening for us in the sleep department. We are slowly establishing a bedtime routine and a nighttime sleep pattern. We are also simultaneously working on Micah sleeping in his crib throughout the night. Right now, our bedtime routine consists of the 3 B’s: bath, bottle, and book. Micah gets a bath, and then he has a bottle. If he’s still awake, we read a book. Then if he’s still awake, he lays down under his mobile. Eventually, he just drifts off to sleep. So far, it works pretty well.

The bedtime routine has led to him falling asleep between 8:00 and 9:00. He sleeps until 12:00 to 12:30, and then wakes for a feeding. He falls back asleep, and wakes again between 2:30 and 3:00. He then wakes again between 5:30 and 6:00, when we start getting ready for our day. We leave home at 7:40, and apparently he sleeps the majority of the day at Granny’s. I’m just waiting for him to start sleeping for longer stretches of time at night. I haven’t had an uninterrupted night of sleep since April 2010. I need some sleep.

As far as Micah sleeping in his crib goes, we are seeing some improvement. Before, when I tried to get Micah to sleep in his crib, he would sleep for about 2 hours, then not want anything else to do with it. This is how he ended up sleeping with me. Last night, he slept in his crib from midnight to 4:00 am. After that, nobody got much sleep. I think he would have made it, if not for the gas that made his little tummy hurt. We’ll continue to try until we get it.

Now if only his mommy could get some sleep…



p.s. Completely unrelated, but, last night I purchased a sewing machine.  I am on my way to learning to sew. :D

No comments: