Monday, January 17, 2011

Pieces of Hope

The hope of a secure and livable world lies with disciplined 
nonconformists who are dedicated to justice, peace and brotherhood.
                                            ~ Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

On my way to take Micah to the doctor's office this morning, the radio program that I was listening to played a clip of one of Dr. King's speeches.  The speech included Dr. King explaining about being stabbed, and receiving  a letter from a young lady.  He went on to explain that if he had sneezed after he was stabbed the knife would have severed his aorta, and he would have bled to death.  The young lady's letter said that she was happy he had not sneezed.  I, too, am happy that he did not sneeze.

Dr. King gave a nation pieces of hope, with his vision and his eloquent speech.  He inspired a nation to stand together to fight against the injustices that had been for centuries.  Listening to that clip this morning reminded me of the rights and opportunities that I have today that were not the reality for my great-grandmother my age, or even my grandmother.  Listening to that clip gave me pieces of hope for my son, that he will live in a world were the dreams of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. are realized.  I hope to see the day.

No comments: