Sunday, January 2, 2011

Do I Have To?

Go back to work, that is?  I am sitting here typing with one hand because there's a baby sleeping in my other arm.  And I just do not know what happened to my little five pound baby.  Because this little chunky monkey sleeping and snoring in my arm is too big.  He's starting to look like a big boy, which means it's almost time for me to go back to work. (And I don't want to go back to work so soon.)

I'll miss the slow, lazy mornings spent cuddled in bed.  I'll miss the milky grins and whisper snores.  I'll miss the afternoon naps on the couch while the television watches us.  I don't want to have to drag you out of bed to get ready for the day.  I don't want to take you out into the cold to Granny's house, while I rush off to work.  I just don't wanna.  So, again, do I have to?

I just don't understand how seven weeks goes by so fast.  It seems like just yesterday the nurse was packing us into the car to go home from the hospital.  Now I'll be packing you into the car to go to Granny's for the day.  I know you'll get the best care.  She will love on you just like I do.  She'll feed you, hold you, and love on you.  She'll sing to you, talk to you, and play with you.  And she's sure to do a better job of it than I do.  I know, because she did all these things for me when I was your age.  But it won't be me feeding you, holding you, singing to you, talking to you, playing with you, or loving on you.  Not until after work hours.  And that makes me sad.  So, again, do I have to?

No comments: